28.5 C
Tura
spot_img

Wild elephant electrocuted in Garo Hills

Must read

Tura, May 14: A wild elephant was killed after it came in contact with a live overhead wire and got electrocuted in Garobadha area on Monday night.

Garo Hills has the dubious distinction of having the highest cases of electrocution deaths and injuries- both humans and animals.

According to Wildlife DFO Rupankar Marak, the adult female pachyderm was part of a herd that had been moving around the Wakagre-Doldigre area for the past many weeks.

Advertisement

The herd had moved towards the Garobadha-Selsella roadside recently, as per sightings by villagers.

A low hanging electrical wire, that had not been checked by power department staff, came in contact with the female pachyderm as it attempted to pass through Chokingre area, on the Garobadha-Selsella road.

Advertisement

“A post mortem is being conducted and we will get a clear picture soon,” informed DFO Marak.

Low hanging wires found across many parts of Garo Hills are a death trap for humans and animals and little has been done to check this problem leading to many innocent lives being lost over the past few years.

Read: Tura catholic cemetery targeted by robbers who steal several steel crosses

WATCH:

Find latest news from every corner of Northeast India at hubnetwork.in, your online source for breaking news, video coverage.

Also, Follow us on-

Twitter-twitter.com/nemediahub

Youtube channel- www.youtube.com/@NortheastMediaHub2020

Instagram- www.instagram.com/ne_media_hub

spot_img

More articles

spot_img
-->

Latest article