HBDRF rejects regional committee’s report on Block I, cites lack of ground inspection

0
436
HBDRF rejects regional committee’s report on Block I, cites lack of ground inspection
HBDRF spokesperson and KHNAM working president Thomas Passah

Shillong, April 2: The Hynniewtrep Border Dispute Redressal Forum (HBDRF), a coalition of social organisations, politicians, legal experts, and traditional village leaders, has strongly opposed the regional committee’s report on the Block I area, alleging that no ground inspection has been carried out.

In a letter addressed to Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma, the Forum expressed its concern over media reports indicating that the government is nearing the final phase of the Assam-Meghalaya boundary dispute settlement. The HBDRF criticised the regional committee tasked with reporting on Block I for finalising its findings without conducting any on-site verification.

“As per media reports, we have learned that the regional committee is preparing to submit its final report. However, we are dissatisfied with the committee’s functioning, as it is widely known that no ground inspection has taken place to date, which risks misrepresenting the true situation,” the letter stated.

The Forum has also sought an appointment with the Chief Minister to present historical facts and documentation related to the disputed Block I region.

Speaking to reporters, HBDRF spokesperson and KHNAM working president Thomas Passah said, “Without visiting ground zero, the committee’s report cannot be fact-based. We have requested a meeting with the Chief Minister to present the historical background and current status of Block I since 1951.”

Passah also referred to a video clip in which it was claimed that Blocks I and II had already been handed over to Assam along with relevant documents. “This is a dangerous and misleading statement,” he said, “because historically, these areas were placed under the jurisdiction of the Karbi Anglong-Mikir Hills Autonomous District Council in 1951–52 purely for administrative convenience, not territorial transfer.”

Passah further explained that numerous representations had been submitted over the decades to both the Assam and Union governments. In 1957, a joint survey was even carried out by officials from the Mikir Hills and the United Khasi-Jaintia Hills, though the final report allegedly went missing.

“If Block I and II are already in Assam, then why are they still listed among the 12 areas of difference between Assam and Meghalaya?” he asked.

The Forum has urged the Meghalaya government to re-examine the facts and ensure that Block I and II are restored to Meghalaya, noting that the residents of Block I are Pnar-speaking people who share the same customs and traditions as those in Meghalaya. “To merge these villages with Karbi Anglong would be a grave injustice,” Passah concluded.

Also Read: Meghalaya’s Ryndia and Handloom Products receive prestigious GI Tag

Also Watch

Find latest news from every corner of Northeast India at hubnetwork.in, your online source for breaking news, video coverage.

Also, Follow us on-

Twitter-twitter.com/nemediahub

Youtube channel- www.youtube.com/@NortheastMediaHub2020

Instagram- www.instagram.com/ne_media_hub

Download our app from playstore – Northeast Media Hub