Shillong, Jan 14: Meghalaya Police on Friday received five new UTP (Under Trial Prisoners) vans, which will be deputed to its various jails to transport UTPs. The vans were flagged off by Inspector General of Prisons, M. Kharkrang.
On the occasions, Kharkrang also shared the ‘Prisons Reforms’ initiated by the Prisons Department.
Prisons Reforms initiated by Prisons Department
(1) Spelling out the motto of Prisons Department:
‘Changing Life Through Corrective Steps’
(2) Initiating skill development of inmates with support from Meghalaya State Skill Development Society (MSSDS). The skill includes soap making, tailoring, food processing, weaving, basic computer training and agriculture.
Efforts to provide placement to inmates after they leave the prison.
(3) Coaching of inmates in various indoor and outdoor sports activities in collaboration with Indian Oil Corporation Limited as part of the Phase – 3 of the program titled ‘Parivantan – Prison to Pride’.
(4) Proposal sent to the Government to change the nomenclature of Prisons Department to Prisons and Correctional Services. Expected that a notification will be issued by the Government soon.
(5) Changing the attitudinal behaviour of Prison Staff toward inmates.
(6) Setting up of Central Prison at the newly allotted land at New Shillong Township.